I've recently been shocked at the lack of knowledge of the United Kingdom. Even on a recent University Challenge, the students were unable to answer basic UK geography questions. Therefore I'm hoping to take you on a tour of Great Britain, visiting not just the lovely tourist places, but also the lesser known locations, where there's industry or run-down town centres.
We all end up in the grave, so I thought we'd start at an appropriate place; Gravesend, a town on the Kentish side of the River Thames. We won't look at Gravesend itself just now, as I thought it would be a good place to finish, so we'll take the ferry across to Tilbury, which is in Essex.Ok, let's go!A Grand Tour, warts and all. Starting at Gravesend, this is a trip around the United Kingdom, taking in its various places. We not only visit the tourist hotspots, but also the lesser visited towns and villages. Some are hidden gems, some are industrial and some are mundane. There's nowhere without interest, though! Transport and beer enthusiasts are very well catered for.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
IT'S A BIT HILLY AROUND HERE!
Once again, we cross the River Don and immediately start the steep ascent that I promised you in the last post. It's worth the effort th...
-
We start at Crumpsall, where this ex L&YR signal box controlled the DC electrified Bury line, before being replaced by the Metrolink tra...
-
We're arriving at Manchester Victoria station, sometime around 1967. Here's one of those unusual EMUs from Bury. A few other shots a...
-
In this post we'll travel through three "counties" (thanks to the 1974 boundary changes). We start in Greater Manchester at Wi...


No comments:
Post a Comment